Jun. 6, 2019
Finding a pageant interview outfit can be tough. In most pageant systems, you are not technically judged on the clothes that you are wearing, but be mindful that what you choose to wear can say a lot about you. According to Forbes, it only takes 7 seconds for someone to make a first impression. Your beautiful smile and your fabulous outfit can help make your first impression to the judges great. Do not worry because we are here to help you with a few tips on how to choose the perfect pageant interview dress!
Sitting or Standing:
Be sure to check with your pageant system to find out if you are sitting or standing during your interview. If you are sitting down, you want to make sure that you are able to comfortably sit in your outfit. Make sure that it is not too tight or too short. If you are standing, still be mindful of the length of your dress, but also make sure that your shoes are comfortable enough to stand in during the duration of the interview.
The color of your outfit can say a lot about you whether you are intending for it to or not. Our brains perceive color psychology differently. The colors our brain psychologically analyzes can be used to manipulate our decision making. According to colorpsychology.com, Here are some popular meanings of different colors:
Red: Associated with energy, war, danger, strength, power, determination as well as passion, desire, and love. Enhances human metabolism, increases respiration rate, and raises blood pressure. It attracts attention more than any other color, at times signifying danger.
Blue: Unique and authentic. Enthusiastic, sympathetic and personal; they seek meaning and significance in life. Warm, communicative and compassionate; they care about what they do. Idealistic, spiritual and sincere; they value unity and integrity in their relationships. Peaceful, flexible and imaginative; they are natural romantics and nurturers
Yellow: Associated with joy, happiness, intellect, and energy. Produces a warming effect, arouses cheerfulness, stimulates mental activity, and generates
muscle energy. Bright, pure yellow is an attention getter, which is the reason taxicabs are painted this color. Yellow indicates honor and loyalty.
Green: Color of nature. It symbolizes growth, harmony, freshness, and fertility. Strong emotional correspondence with safety. Dark green is also commonly associated with money. Has great healing power. Green suggests stability and endurance. Symbolizes trust, loyalty, wisdom, confidence, intelligence, faith, truth, and heaven. Slows human metabolism and produces a calming effect. Strongly associated with tranquility and calmness. Used to symbolize piety and sincerity.
Pink: This is a color that represents a gentle type of love.
Pink stands for tenderness, vulnerability and youth. It is a calming, non-threatening color. It is linked to innocence, hope and optimism. Pink color also represents positive aspects of traditional femininity like nurture and kindness. Pink can be linked to childhood sweetness and innocence, appearing sometimes as naïve or silly
White: Associated with light, goodness, innocence, purity, and virginity. Considered to be the color of perfection. Signifies safety, purity, and cleanliness. Usually has a positive connotation. Can represent a successful beginning. Depicts faith and purity.
Black: Associated with power, elegance, formality, death, evil, and mystery. A mysterious color associated with fear and the unknown (black holes). Usually has a negative connotation. Denotes strength and authority; it is considered to be a very formal, elegant, and prestigious color. The symbol of grief.
Along with color psychology, take a look at how your skin tone and hair color look in different colors. Do you look better in jewel tone, pastel, or natural colors? Read our blog post to find out more about choosing a color that pairs well with your hair color and skin tone.
Your Personality and Color Psychology:
It is important to think of not only what the color you are wearing means, but also how the psychology of your color pairs with your personality. If you are very talkative and have a large personality, wearing yellow or red might be too much. If you get very nervous before your interview, then you might want to wear blue or green to promote a calm feeling. If you are very sweet and shy, then wearing pink might have you come across as too sweet and shy. Thinking through your positive and negative personality traits and using them along with color psychology can help you choose which color to wear to seem the most balanced.
When you are choosing an interview outfit it is all about finding balance between trendy and classic styles. You want to stand out, but you do not want your outfit to be distracting to the judges. Try to stay away from large patterns, lots of stones or beading, or distracting details. If you have a larger bust area, you should probably stay away from any dress that shows too much cleavage. You could stick with a traditional dress or you could choose something more trendy like a jumpsuit, romper, or pants and a top. The color can also help you stand out among other contestants. There is no wrong answer just be sure to keep in mind what your outfit could say about you.
It is extremely important that your interview dress fits properly. It does not matter how fabulous your outfit is, if it does not fit correctly. Search around and try on different sizes, or take your dress to a seamstress. Be sure that your dress hugs your body nicely but is not too tight. You want to be comfortable. Also make sure that your dress is not too long or too short. A good rule of thumb is to stand straight with your arms at your sides, the dress should be no shorter than the tip of your middle finger. If you are wearing pants or a jumpsuit, try it on with the heels you are wearing to make sure that you get the perfect length. Mac Duggal has a size guide on our website, or you can check out this blog post for more information on getting the perfect fit.
It is important to remember to keep your interview dress age appropriate. Consider the range of ages of the people competing alongside you. For teen contestants, be sure to not choose a dress that is too mature in style or color. Typically, lighter and brighter hues are a great way to go. A very popular style choice for teens for a pageant interview dress is one that has a full skirt. If you are a “Miss” contestant, do not wear anything that makes you look juvenile. That might make you seem like you are not mature enough to do the job.
Shoes and Accessories:
Once you have found the perfect dress, it is time to find shoes and accessories. When choosing shoes, most contestants choose a nude color shoe that is not distracting. The last place you want judges to be looking when you are in an interview is at your feet. Try on your shoes and practice walking in them at home to ensure that they are not too tall or too uncomfortable. When deciding which accessories to wear with your outfit, pick accessories that are not distracting. Make sure that they compliment the dress. You do not need tons of accessories. Just some simple earrings will do! If you choose to wear bracelets, ensure that they are not too distracting or that they do not make noises when they touch together while you are talking with your hands.
Here are a few of our favorite Mac Duggal styles that would help you make the best first impression and lasting impression in your next pageant interview:
Look darling in this knee length, one shoulder cocktail dress. This sheath dress has a layered one shoulder ruffle. This is available in red and winter green.
Feel empowered in this fabulous white jumpsuit and jacket. The strapless jumpsuit has skinny legged pants and a sweetheart neckline. The white tailored suit jacket features an beautiful shining gold closure.
This jumpsuit is made perfect by the beautiful ruffled off the shoulder detail. Beginning at the delicate straps, the ruffle continues down around the arm to reveal the shoulder. The waist forms long strait leg pants that gently flare at the bottom. The jumpsuit is available in royal blue and white.
A simple dress made fabulous by a ruffle! This black or pink cocktail has a ruffle that extends from the bottom of the dress to the opposite shoulder and then down and across the back. The shoulder that is not cover by a ruffle has a delicate strap. The dress has a v-neckline.
This dreamy sunshine or hot pink cocktail dress is an A-line dress with a high neckline. It would be perfect for a teen interview!
This simple but fabulous ensemble includes a both a top and a pant. The pink top is sleeveless and has a peplum detail. The white pants are skinny legged.
Style 48887F has the popular off-the-shoulder sleeve with a sweetheart neckline. The waistline flares into a flared skirt with horsehair braiding underneath and along the hemline to give the royal blue or red dress a voluminous effect.
This classy white jumpsuit has a beautiful one shoulder neckline with gold sequin embellishment across the shoulder strap that continues to the back.
This A-line, one shoulder, sheath, short dress has a trendy ruffle that wraps around the shoulder. This dress is available in either Royal Blue or Hot Pink.
This comfortable stretch crepe, V neck jumpsuit features a sash at the waist. The sash can be used to tie a front or back bow.
When it comes to choosing the interview dress for your pageant, you are sure to find the perfect dress in the Ieena collection or the Cocktail collection, which offers great choices for both Teen and Miss contestants. A perfect blend of classy and elegant, the Ieena collection will help you make a great impression during the interview phase of the pageant.
As a leading designer in the pageant and prom industry, Mac Duggal is an expert when it comes to creating a winning wardrobe for pageant girls across the world. From gorgeous show stopping evening gowns to classic elegant interview dresses, Mac Duggal designs are a perfect choice for interview and evening gown.
We wish you all good luck this pageant season and don’t forget to show us your pageant style. Tag @macduggal in your instagram posts and use #MacDuggal.
Find a Mac Duggal Retailer
May. 21, 2019
It’s time to think about hitting the stores and start the search for the perfect gown for the fall ball.
Homecoming is coming!
And all you need to make it perfect is that special dress. You delve into the Mac Duggal 2018 homecoming dresses in the Cocktail and iEENA collections, your eyes soaking up the gorgeous gowns and all their exquisite detailing, your heartbeat picks up at the thought of slipping into one of these festive, fabulous frocks.
But you’re stuck on one little detail. What color should I wear?
If you have ever Googled one of those “how to find your perfect color” guides, you know the very next step after clicking on one of the hundreds of thousands of links is to then hit up Google for the definitions of half the words you just read. Winter, summer, autumn tones, oranges, blues, cool, warm, pink, natural, muted, glowing, deep… figuring out what your precise skin coloring is just to find what shade will look best on you can be exhausting. Some “helpful” sites are even packed with flowcharts similar to this:
The truth is, unless you naturally “get” what it means to go through all those color analysis charts, you probably need professional help if you want to use them to find your perfect color. Because even following the instructions to a tee can make you go mad. And no one wants to see that.
But there are simpler ways to get to the root of your best color when it comes to choosing your homecoming dress. One is to determine the undertone of your skin. The other, simply look to guides for what colors look good with your locks.
Generally speaking, the color of your hair can be a good determination for the color that looks great on you. While there are certainly more considerations, and darker or lighter skin tones may affect the outcome, as a guide, it’s a good place to start.
Blonde – If you go the way of Reese Witherspoon and Marilyn Monroe, you might want to try bold colors, such as red, orange, coral, emerald and peacock, as well as neutral tones like nude, tan or taupe.
Photo by @emmawilliams18
Redhead – The skin tone of a lady with fiery locks can vary wildly, and the lighter the tone, the more washed out you’ll look in light colors. But in general, a redhead can shine in mocha, sapphire, emerald, and ivory.
Photo by @Katsprom
Brunette – They say blondes have more fun, but brunettes seem to have more variety. Whether your locks are a warm chestnut or a sultry raven, saturated colors are yours for the taking! Dark hair pairs well with several colors, including varying shades of pink, blue, brown, green, and orange.
Photo by @_mwatsun
Of course, not every color pairs specifically with any hair color, and there are varying levels of intensity in both hair color and dress color. But as a simple guide, these tips will come in quite handy!
You can figure out your undertone by squeezing the tip of your finger. See how the color changes slightly? THAT is the undertone!
If the undertone appears blue, pink, reddish-purple or rosy, then cool colors are likely for you. If what you see is peachy, gold, coral or a brighter red, then warm colors will probably be the most flattering against your skin.
Warm and cool are exactly like they sound – warm colors produce the illusion of the feel of warmth. Cool colors look like a cooling breeze feels.
Photo by @Mallorysevans
Photo by @colorsofmei
Orange and pink are warm colors.
Photo by @matapamaila
Photo by @marleyhannah
Blue and green are cool colors.
Colors giving you grief? Why not try the most classic look of all?
A stunning Mac Duggal little black dress can look beautiful on anyone, and the possibilities are endless when it comes to length, embellishments, and cut. These sassy dresses are glammed up for the occasion with stunning colorful beaded embellishments.
Finally, don’t underestimate the power of perception. Bring your friends with you. Ask them questions. Tell them to BE HONEST. Holding up dress after dress is a tough sell when it’s just you and the mirror. But through the eyes of another person, you are getting a much better picture of what really looks great on you.
And in the end, remember, it’s YOUR dress. If you love it, then LOVE it. We’re sure you’ll look fantastic. Start your search for your homecoming dress here.
Find a Mac Duggal Retailer
May. 5, 2019
You have found the perfect prom dress, and now you need to find the perfect jewelry to go with your dress. Here at Mac Duggal we have the best advice to help you find the best jewelry to compliment your dress. There are 4 things to consider during the jewelry decision making process.
1. Your hairstyle at prom: Think about how you want to style your hair at prom. You could do a pony tail, sleek and straight, beach waves, a beautiful bun, half up, a braid, or even beautiful curls. If you need help deciding on your hairstyle- check out this blog post. If your hair is going to be in a bun, pony tail, braid, half up, or any style that pulls your hair away from your face, then you can wear large statement earrings. If your hair is going to be down and straight or curled, then large statement earrings might get lost in your beautiful hair. Then, we would suggest that you wear some simple earrings.
2. The color of your dress: You have a couple choices when deciding which color jewelry to wear with your dress. You can choose jewelry that is the same color of your dress, a neutral color, or a complimentary color. Let’s say that you have a teal dress. Choosing teal jewelry to wear with your teal dress can create a complete and complementing look. You could also choose simple neutral silver or gold jewelry to go along with your teal dress. If you are going for the neutral look, typically cool colored dresses look best with silver jewelry, and warm colored dresses look best with gold jewelry. If you go with the neutral jewelry, make sure that it isn’t too distracting because it should act as a finishing touch rather than a distracting detail. Your last option is to wear jewelry and shoes that is are complementing color. Complementary colors are colors that are opposite from each other on the color wheel. Teal’s complementary color is fuchsia. This can create a fun alternative to wearing matching or neutral jewelry.
3. The embellishment on your dress: Look at the beading on your dress. There are typically two main types of stones on prom dresses- AB and Regular. AB stands for Aurora Borealis. AB stones have a coating on them that allows the stone to pick up other colors in the light. Regular stones just pick up the color of the stone. You could also have pearls or other types of beading on your prom dress. Be sure to know what type of beading is on your dress before you go shopping for earrings. Look to see if the backing of the stones on your dress are gold or silver. If your dress has pink AB stones with gold backing then you could wear earrings or a bracelet with pink AB stones with gold backing.
4. The neckline of your dress: The type of neckline your dress has can help you decide what kind of jewelry you should wear. If you have a dress with a v-neckline you could wear a trendy drop y-necklace. If you have a high neckline you can skip the necklace and try some simple studs or hoops. Think about the emphasis point of your dress. The emphasis point is the very first place you look when you see the dress. If the emphasis point is around your neck or face, then keep the jewelry around your face simple. If the the emphasis point is somewhere else on the gown, then go with earrings that are big and fabulous.
Don’t wait until the last minute to decide which accessories you are going to pair with your prom dress. Prom is one of the most fun nights of the year. We want you to have fun getting ready to go to the big dance and not stressed about which jewelry looks best. Try out different styles of jewelry, shoes, and purses. Most importantly, make sure that you feel comfortable and beautiful.
Find a Mac Duggal Retailer
Apr. 1, 2019
There are tons of prom dresses that look great on a hanger. If you really want to be a show stopped your need to look for a dress a dress that you can not only fall in love with, but also one that makes you look amazing by flattering your figure. Here are some tips on finding silhouettes that flatter specific body types:
A fun short dress with a flared skirt and fitted bodice will fill out a small frame and add the illusion of an hourglass figure. In the Cocktail, Mac Duggal, and Ieena collections, you can find dresses that are perfect for your body shape!
If you are looking for the illusion of appearing taller, be sure to view the mermaid gowns in our Prom, Flash, and Cassandra Stone collections. Mermaid dresses give you a shaped silhouette with a fitted bodice, and the dramatic hemlines elongate the body. Try to stay away from dresses that could make you seem shorter. Vertical beading can also help create the illusion of you looking taller. If you want to appear even taller- think about wearing tall heels, but be sure that you are able to comfortably walk in them.
Walk tall with confidence and show your amazing figure off! A short dress, high-low dress, or a dress with a high leg slit can help show off your long legs by accentuating them. Don’t be ashamed of those beautiful legs!
Elongate your midriff even more with a gorgeous two piece dress. The amazing designs in our Mac Duggal Prom Collection will flatter any tall girl.
Your curves are what make you unique. Embrace your beautiful figure in a form fitting dress that makes you feel flawless. An asymmetrical or one shoulder strap will add more support so you can show of your bare shoulder with confidence. Several styles in the Fabulouss collection give you the all-around support for dancing throughout the night. The Fabulouss collection embrace body positivity with fun, flirty, and sexy styles
An empire waistline draws the perfect amount of attention to your slim waist, while also creating an emphasis on your beautiful curves. Many empire style gowns are available in our Ball Gown collection and also all of the Mac Duggal Prom collections.
Apple (Full Figured- Fuller Bust line)
An apple shape describes women who are typically “top heavy,” meaning that they have a wide torso, broad shoulders, and a fuller bust and waist. Apple shape figures generally want to draw attention to their bust and away from their mid-section. It’s important to wear dresses that flow from underneath the bust, expanding at the waist. Draped or ruched gathers that lie flat across your middle will work wonders without adding too much extra volume. A gorgeous empire waist dress is the perfect choice for a girl who is an apple shape.
Pear (Full Figured- Bigger Bottom Line)
Pear shaped body figures are recommended to have a tighter fitting bodice with a skirt that flares outward. A gown with an intricate neckline and a high waist put the spotlight on your sexy upper half.
Find a dress that floats over your hips. There are many different variations of dresses that flatter a pear shaped body figure. These type of dresses create a slimming look, with just the right amount of sex appeal.
Now lets talk about some of our most popular silhouettes for this prom season, and which body types they would look best in!
The sheath style evening gown, like the usual sheath dress, is designed to fit the body tightly. It can be belted or unbelted, and has a straight drape. It can have shoulder straps or be strapless. This style dress can be perfect for any body shape and depending on the style details of the gown, can be worn for a more simplistic and modest look.
A princess style dress is the most traditional prom dress. Mac Duggal has many variations of this silhouette in the Ball gown collection. The fitted bodice and accentuated waistline can make your waist look slimmer. This style of dress can make anyone with any body shape feel like royalty on their special night.
The A-line style evening gown is close-fitting at the top and gradually widens at the bottom, without gathers or pleats. A- line dresses are commonly simple but often attract attention with its elegant appearance. There is an A-line dress for every body shape in both our Prom and Fabulouss collections.
The waistline is dropped below the actual waistline. This style dress is generally worn to elongate the waist and create a slim look. The skirt can be fitted or flared. This is great for girls who want to show off their waist.
If the evening gown is trumpet shaped, it is tight fitting until it reaches the mid thigh or the knees, where it flares. The difference between mermaid and trumpet style prom gowns is that the mermaid gown hugs your body all the way to the knees before it fans out. Trumpet prom dresses are fitted through the hips to mid thigh and then flair a bit less severely. This dress style is best for tall, curvy, and peared shaped body types.
Mermaid, as the name suggests, resembles a mermaid’s silhouette. The evening gown is form fitting around the bodice and contoured to your body all the way to the knees where the skirt flares out dramatically. This style flatters slender, fit, and near flawless body types as it shows off all your curves.
For details on what’s on trend this season, read Prom Dress Trends for 2019.
Find a Mac Duggal Retailer
Mar. 31, 2019
You found your perfect prom dress, then you went to prom and had the time of your life. Now what? Throw the dress away or store it in a large garment bag in the back of your closet? After you’ve spent so much time looking for the perfect dress and making an investment, it is beneficial for you to get the most use out of your dress. Many girls choose to donate their dress or hand it down to a friend or sibling. If keeping your dress is important to you consider repurposing or reusing your dress!
Here are 7 creative ways to reuse your prom dress and get the most use out of the dress you love:
1. Alter into a shorter dress: Take your long dress to your local seamstress and have her alter your dress into a shorter cocktail dress. This won’t work with every style of dress. However, an a-line dress, sheath dress, or ballgown could be altered into a cocktail dress for a whole new look!
2. Create a top: If you find a dress with a fabulous top, why not detach the bottom and create a new look? If you aren’t the best at sewing take the dress and your design to a cleaner or seamstress and have a professional do create a top. If you choose a crop top or two-piece prom dress simply use the top and pair with a stylish jean skirt or pair of fashionable pants. If you are going to make your dress into a top it is best to use a dress that has a true defined waist.
3. Create a skirt:If your dress has a defined waistline then you can turn your prom dress into a stylish skirt! Just as with a top, do not steer away from this option just because you are new to sewing. Ask an expert to help.
4. Alter into a more sophisticated dress: If you want to repurpose your prom dress into a more sophisticated look for your post high school days, consider removing some of the heavy embellishments. Sleeveless dresses can be turned into sleeved dresses with some extra material pulled from the lining. Also, a plunging v-neck or high-slit can be sewn up an inch or two to make it appropriate for weddings, formals, or other events.
5. Repurpose the material: If your dress was beautiful, but there’s no way to refashion it, keep the material and repurpose the fabric for pillows, blankets, or even a tote bag! In 30 years, you can tell your children that the pillow on the couch was actually your prom dress.
6. Change the exterior: If your dress is light or single hued, try repurposing by changing the color with dies or tulle overlay. You can also change the exterior by embellishments like a belt or more beading.
7. Halloween costume or sorority party: Themed parties do not stop after high school. Whether it’s a sorority party when you’re 20 or a Halloween party when you’re 30, a prom dress can be repurposed into a costume or themed party dress.
We hope these tips help you find a creative way to reuse your prom dress! Don’t throw it in the trash or let it sit in the back of your closet for the next 15 years! If you love your dress, then make the most out of it.
Find a Mac Duggal Retailer
Mar. 19, 2019
How common is it for girls to get ripped off by fraudulent online prom dress stores? Walk into any prom dress retailer and ask them about this subject, and they will indicate it has become very commonplace. It’s a frequent occurrence for girls to come into their stores with tales of woe after having been cheated by a fraudulent online retailer.
If the price of a prom dress offered online seems to good to be true, it probably is to good to be true. There are a variety of bad things that can occur when dealing with a fraudulent web site.
1) The order never gets shipped.
2) The color of the dress is vastly different than the image displayed online
3) The dress is made from cheap fabric with poor quality workmanship
4) The fit is terrible
5) The embellishments are terribly inferior versus what is shown in the online image
6) There are months of delays in receipt of the dress and customer service is non-existent
Be aware that the search engines are filled with the sites of fraudulent online stores. The search engines are enablers of the these prom dress counterfeiters. The paid results at the top of the results pages are infested with links to fraudulent stores that have stolen images from the top designers such as Mac Duggal. These stores are buying their way to the top of the search engines. In many cases, they can afford to pay a lot to get to the top of the search engines because they are saving money by using cheap, inferior materials and sloppy workmanship.
The results obtained when searching online for prom dresses is a jumbled result of legitimate and fraudulent sites. Most of the larger prom dress retailers have websites and there a numerous online stores that are extremely reputable. So how can you segment the legitimate stores from the fraudulent ones?
1) Go to the sites of the top designers and use their “Where to Buy” function to find authorized retailers. The Mac Duggal authorized retailer’s can be identified by going to Find Retailer. (a link to “Find Retailer” is in the navigation bar at the top of the webpage).
2) Search for “store name reviews”. Be aware this method is far from foolproof. Many of the reviews are paid for and not trustworthy. It requires a lot of digging to find reviews that you can trust.
3) Look up the store’s Page on Facebook. Check on how many likes the store has. Check on whether the store’s posts are getting shared, as this is a good indication that they have an engaged customer base. Click on the “show share” button. See if the distribution of names seems to be typical. Read the comments to determine if they seem to be coming from legitimate fans, or if the online store is buying them. Be aware that this is not a foolproof method of sussing out legitimate stores, as the fraudulent stores sometimes buy likes and pay for positive comments.
Recommended Prom Dress Stores in Selected Cities
While the title of the video provided below is about wedding dresses, it is directly relevant to prom dresses. The story would be almost identical if they had substituted “prom dress” for “wedding dress”.
Newsletters / Hottest Trends / New Arrivals