May. 5, 2019
You have found the perfect prom dress, and now you need to find the perfect jewelry to go with your dress. Here at Mac Duggal we have the best advice to help you find the best jewelry to compliment your dress. There are 4 things to consider during the jewelry decision making process.
1. Your hairstyle at prom: Think about how you want to style your hair at prom. You could do a pony tail, sleek and straight, beach waves, a beautiful bun, half up, a braid, or even beautiful curls. If you need help deciding on your hairstyle- check out this blog post. If your hair is going to be in a bun, pony tail, braid, half up, or any style that pulls your hair away from your face, then you can wear large statement earrings. If your hair is going to be down and straight or curled, then large statement earrings might get lost in your beautiful hair. Then, we would suggest that you wear some simple earrings.
2. The color of your dress: You have a couple choices when deciding which color jewelry to wear with your dress. You can choose jewelry that is the same color of your dress, a neutral color, or a complimentary color. Let’s say that you have a teal dress. Choosing teal jewelry to wear with your teal dress can create a complete and complementing look. You could also choose simple neutral silver or gold jewelry to go along with your teal dress. If you are going for the neutral look, typically cool colored dresses look best with silver jewelry, and warm colored dresses look best with gold jewelry. If you go with the neutral jewelry, make sure that it isn’t too distracting because it should act as a finishing touch rather than a distracting detail. Your last option is to wear jewelry and shoes that is are complementing color. Complementary colors are colors that are opposite from each other on the color wheel. Teal’s complementary color is fuchsia. This can create a fun alternative to wearing matching or neutral jewelry.
3. The embellishment on your dress: Look at the beading on your dress. There are typically two main types of stones on prom dresses- AB and Regular. AB stands for Aurora Borealis. AB stones have a coating on them that allows the stone to pick up other colors in the light. Regular stones just pick up the color of the stone. You could also have pearls or other types of beading on your prom dress. Be sure to know what type of beading is on your dress before you go shopping for earrings. Look to see if the backing of the stones on your dress are gold or silver. If your dress has pink AB stones with gold backing then you could wear earrings or a bracelet with pink AB stones with gold backing.
4. The neckline of your dress: The type of neckline your dress has can help you decide what kind of jewelry you should wear. If you have a dress with a v-neckline you could wear a trendy drop y-necklace. If you have a high neckline you can skip the necklace and try some simple studs or hoops. Think about the emphasis point of your dress. The emphasis point is the very first place you look when you see the dress. If the emphasis point is around your neck or face, then keep the jewelry around your face simple. If the the emphasis point is somewhere else on the gown, then go with earrings that are big and fabulous.
Don’t wait until the last minute to decide which accessories you are going to pair with your prom dress. Prom is one of the most fun nights of the year. We want you to have fun getting ready to go to the big dance and not stressed about which jewelry looks best. Try out different styles of jewelry, shoes, and purses. Most importantly, make sure that you feel comfortable and beautiful.
Find a Mac Duggal Retailer
Apr. 9, 2019
One of the most figure flattering prom looks is a Mermaid dress. It’s sexy, classy and timeless. This body contouring silhouette that hugs your waist and thighs and then flares out at the knee, highlights every curve.
Check out these mermaid dress runway video clips.
Be ravishing in this stretch crepe, V neck gown featuring body contouring seams to show off your amazing silhouette. The well-structured bodice gives way to a mermaid fit, tiered ruffle skirt. This style comes in Cranberry or Midnight Blue.
Style 30603A is a plunging neckline twilight mermaid prom dress. Two tone sequin open back prom dress with criss–cross straps around bodice and the waist. Catch the light of the stars on your magical prom night in this gorgeous gown.
The perfect stretch taffeta mermaid for all sizes and ages. The fabric shows off your curves and the corset allows for a truly cinched waist. This gown is embellished with an off the shoulder bedazzled collar. This mermaid prom gown is available in either vibrant Magenta or elegant Midnight Blue.
This blue gown with golden metallic designs give angelic vibes. Simple beading surround the sweetheart neckline. The dress sweeps into a dramatic train to finish it off.
This classic mermaid form fitting style features a shoulder neckline embellished with stones and rhinestones that wraps around the back. The stretch taffeta skirt reaches the floor and extends into a wide sweep train.
This red mikado mermaid dress is sure to stun at your next event! Completed with body contour lines and a hand tailored ruffle train.
Mar. 31, 2019
You found your perfect prom dress, then you went to prom and had the time of your life. Now what? Throw the dress away or store it in a large garment bag in the back of your closet? After you’ve spent so much time looking for the perfect dress and making an investment, it is beneficial for you to get the most use out of your dress. Many girls choose to donate their dress or hand it down to a friend or sibling. If keeping your dress is important to you consider repurposing or reusing your dress!
Here are 7 creative ways to reuse your prom dress and get the most use out of the dress you love:
1. Alter into a shorter dress: Take your long dress to your local seamstress and have her alter your dress into a shorter cocktail dress. This won’t work with every style of dress. However, an a-line dress, sheath dress, or ballgown could be altered into a cocktail dress for a whole new look!
2. Create a top: If you find a dress with a fabulous top, why not detach the bottom and create a new look? If you aren’t the best at sewing take the dress and your design to a cleaner or seamstress and have a professional do create a top. If you choose a crop top or two-piece prom dress simply use the top and pair with a stylish jean skirt or pair of fashionable pants. If you are going to make your dress into a top it is best to use a dress that has a true defined waist.
3. Create a skirt:If your dress has a defined waistline then you can turn your prom dress into a stylish skirt! Just as with a top, do not steer away from this option just because you are new to sewing. Ask an expert to help.
4. Alter into a more sophisticated dress: If you want to repurpose your prom dress into a more sophisticated look for your post high school days, consider removing some of the heavy embellishments. Sleeveless dresses can be turned into sleeved dresses with some extra material pulled from the lining. Also, a plunging v-neck or high-slit can be sewn up an inch or two to make it appropriate for weddings, formals, or other events.
5. Repurpose the material: If your dress was beautiful, but there’s no way to refashion it, keep the material and repurpose the fabric for pillows, blankets, or even a tote bag! In 30 years, you can tell your children that the pillow on the couch was actually your prom dress.
6. Change the exterior: If your dress is light or single hued, try repurposing by changing the color with dies or tulle overlay. You can also change the exterior by embellishments like a belt or more beading.
7. Halloween costume or sorority party: Themed parties do not stop after high school. Whether it’s a sorority party when you’re 20 or a Halloween party when you’re 30, a prom dress can be repurposed into a costume or themed party dress.
We hope these tips help you find a creative way to reuse your prom dress! Don’t throw it in the trash or let it sit in the back of your closet for the next 15 years! If you love your dress, then make the most out of it.
Find a Mac Duggal Retailer
Mar. 1, 2019
One of the hottest trends for prom this year is for two besties to walk into prom wearing the same dress in different colors. Picking the exact same dress in the different tones for prom can produce a stunning look and can help you get some really cute photos for your Instagram.
However, there are pros and cons to rocking the same dress as your bestie. Here are just a few:
Color choice: If you LOVE a dress that comes in multiple colors, it’s hard to pick just one. So you and your bestie can each choose a fun color to rock. Make sure your colors look good together!
The dress swap: Girls often fall in love with the dress they wear to prom but find it hard to reuse or recycle the dress. Although there are many ways to reuse your dress, (See Creative Ways to Reuse Your Prom Dress) an alternate solution would be to swap with your bestie after prom. That way you can rock the dress you love again but with a new feel because of the different shade.
It’s fun: Instead of dreading someone walking into prom with the same dress as you, embrace the twinning moment. Walk in side by side with your bestie in the same cute dress and have some fun with it!
It’s a Great Conversation Starter: You will get lots of comments from friends on wearing the same dress as your bestie. And it offers a good opening for someone to start a conversation with you.
Spotlight moment: Prom is a chance to have all eyes on you. If you and your bestie rock the same dress there’s a chance that you will have fewer spotlight moments. Even if your dress is stunning, your bestie will most likely be by your side much of the night, looking great in that same dress and drawing attention away from you.
Pictures: Seeing two of the same dresses in photos can make or break a photo. If it’s just you and your bestie, the pictures will come out cute and fun! It will not be an issue for photos that you aren’t both in together. However, in a large group, if two girls wear the same dress there is the potential for the look to be distracting and off balanced, particularly if you are next to each other.
Wearing the same dress as your bestie is a fun way to share a special moment with a true bff. Wearing a Mac Duggal dress will give both of you a big boost in confidence!
Send us your prom photos! Instagram – Tag @macduggal and use the hashtag #MacDuggalphotos
Find a Mac Duggal Retailer
Jan. 30, 2019
Prom is one of the most important and unforgettable days of a high school. Girls spend months finding the perfect dress, shoes, hair styles, makeup, and jewelry, and they want nothing but to feel exceptionally beautiful on their special day. Every girl wants to capture this night for the rest of her life so they can reminisce on their fun prom night. Whether you have a fancy camera or just your iPhone, it is crucial to use your tools and resources to get the perfect pictures. Not only will you and your family look back on these photos, but everyone will be tagging your in these pictures on Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook before you know it! Now, lets go over these easy tips on getting that picture perfect prom photo.
First things first- location. Choosing the right location is a crucial decision because your background can make or break the pictures! The location needs to be accessible while also being aesthetically pleasing. Plan for both a “dry” and “wet” location to reduce your stress levels if there is rain on your prom day. Rain is common, especially in the months of April and May. Although we hope for the best weather, you should find a few places around your hometown or neighborhood that hold a special place in your heart. Places including a park, arboretum, nature preserve, your school, or even a friends house can be the ultimate photoshoot location.
Tip: make sure the background is cleaned up. You don’t want any trash, poor landscape, or even photobombing friends getting in the way of your endless pictures.
Emily Skinner in the gorgeous style 66346D!
Perfect lighting is a must! Too much light can cause your eyes to squint or your makeup to look too shiny. Not enough light will hide your beautiful makeup, not show the full details of your dress, and can cause your photos to look dull. Choose somewhere that has great lighting, both natural and artificial. Determine the direction of the light so you can position yourself accordingly. If you are outside, find a nicely shaded area. If you are inside, find a place that has good window light. If you are using artificial light, make sure that it is not too yellow or too blue because that could alter the look of your photos. If you have a photographer taking your photos, then they will know all of these details, but if your mom, dad, or a friend is taking your photos, it is critical that they know how to use your phone or your camera properly in different lightings.
Tip: get a variety of photos in different lighting. Rather than being disappointed, you can always go back and choose your favorites and delete any unwanted pictures.
Got a favorite angle or side? Everyone does, but try different sides and an array poses to ensure that every photo looks unique. You would be surprised with how great a picture could turn out even if you felt awkward or were on your “bad side.” Whether you want to pose by yourself for a selfie or with a group of your girl friends, there are so many photogenic poses to strike! Leave the “awkward” traditional prom pose behind. Instead, sit side-by-side, hold hands, or link arms with your date. These pictures will not only be adorable but more flattering. A photo of you and your date dancing together could make a cute photo because it will capture the movement of your dress and hair. When you are posing, slightly move between each photo. Whether it is a tilt of the head or the way your arm is hanging, if you make slight movements between each photo then you will have more options.
There are also many ways to spice up your pictures that are both affordable and easy. Consider using props for prom! Whether its a sign, a couch, a tree swing, or just balloons, these props make the pictures fun and lively. Practice your favorites look and as always, don’t forget to smile! If you want to take a cute “laughing” photo with your friends, actually try to audibly laugh out loud. You will sound ridiculous but then you and your friends will really begin to laugh.
Tip: Keep it simple, take candids, and have fun with it. Pull as many poses as you like…you wont regret having too many pictures in your ravishing Mac Duggal gown.
Pro Tip: Tilt you head to the side, but just a pinch. It’ll make you look less stiff, more elongated, and flatter your figure.
Lauren Perla strikes an enchanting pose in style 62989D with her handsome date!
Before your mom starts aggressively taking hundreds of pictures of you, it is time for a double check. Look over your teeth, hair, makeup, and dress. You want to make sure is no food or smeared lipstick on your teeth. Make sure you don’t have any crazy hairs flying away to ruin your pictures. If you don’t have a mirror available, always rely on friends or family to help freshen up.
Tip: Have a double-check buddy. Have your besties’ back by having her check you and you check her.
Okay, so you’re going to be taking a lot of pictures on prom night. There’s honestly no escaping it. Learn how to balance your time between your date and your friends but also make sure you enjoy YOUR night. Take pictures alone with your date, with each of your friends, with groups of friends, and a big group pictures. Group poses are fun and you will never regret having all your friends in one picture.
Tip: Have someone capture a picture with your family too! You’ll love looking back with them at these memories.
Emmy Grace wearing the stunning style 66442A with date!
A rushed photo session never turns out how you want it. Take a breathe, don’t get flustered, and make sure you leave yourself enough time to get all the pictures you want without being stressed. Time management is important and a schedule might help you understand where you need to be and when. Consider how long it is going to take you to get ready, how long the drive to your photo location is, how long it will take you and your date to eat dinner together, and the scheduled time you are supposed to arrive at the dance. Also leave room for error in case one of those events takes a little longer than expected.
Tip: Make sure everyone knows the schedule as well. If you have that friends who is always running late, make sure to expect all those bumps along the way.
Jolie Pickren in this gorgeous dress from @michellesformalwear!
No matter how important the day is, always make sure to relax and have fun. Before you know it, the night will be over and you want to remember the good memories and not being stressed over small inconveniences. The night is truly what you make of it, so make it the best. It is such a special day for you and all of your friends before you leave for college. It is an unforgettable memory so relax and dance the night away!
Toni Ann Andrea wearing style 77677F!
Check out our Pinterest Board for more amazing photos and prom photo ideas! You could be featured on the Mac Duggal’s website and Pinterest page too. Just use the hashtag #MacDuggal and the @MacDuggal handle to tag yourself and your dress.
Jan. 18, 2019
Prom is a big event for every young girl—an occasion when you can dress your best and have fun. The outfit you choose for it will be immortalized through photographs taken on the day. Therefore, you must find a dress that helps you look your best. It should also be comfortable, since you will be wearing the dress for several hours and even dancing in it.
Here is a round-up of the hottest prom dress trends for 2019 from the fashion enthusiasts at Best for Bride in Canada to inspire your choice.
Fringe dresses provide the carefree, glitzy, glamorous fashion statement that made this style all the rage among flappers during the 1920’s. All eyes will be drawn to you as the fringe shimmies and sways when you enter a room or step upon the dance floor. Mac Duggal has brought up to date styling to the fringe dress, giving them a modern look and feel. View more fringe dresses
Ball Gown Prom Dresses
The perfect evening gown for that grand entrance of your dreams is a romantic ball gown prom dress. It fulfills the dream of walking into a room and feeling like a princess. And when twirling across the dance floor you will feel like teen royalty. Prom dresses with a ball gown look and feel are surging in popularity this season. In particular, soft hue colors like rose gold and powder blue are on trend this year, to the point where these colors have become equal in popularity to red and black dresses. For a bold look in the red spectrum, burgundy prom dresses are in vogue this year.
Shine in Gold
Bring on the bling in a gown embellished with golden sequins or brocade. Metallics are very fashionable, and gold is the hottest choice this year. This universally flattering metallic hue works on all complexions and is just perfect to steal the spotlight. It is also a versatile choice that works well with any hairstyle and makeup. You hardly need any accessories to complete your prom day look, when your dress is opulent with golden details. So make a majestic appearance in a gold dress and you will certainly be noticed.
Dresses with Dramatic Backs
Show skin without being flashy in a dress with dramatic back details. This is a great option to show-off your sense of style in a sophisticated way. You can make your pick from illusion designs embellished with lace appliques and crystal embroidery, sheer overlays, pretty keyhole cut-outs and low-cut open backs. Keyhole backs and illusion details offer beautiful coverage, while low-cut and open backs are revealing and bold. Don’t forget to choose a suitable hairstyle that highlights the back of your dress and doesn’t distract from its statement features.
Lace Details and Accents
If you love elegant and classy styles, lace is the way to go. All-over lace dresses are eternally romantic with timeless allure. Look for playful colors like bright red or blue for a modern twist on the classic. You can even go gothic with black lace. Or include lace in your outfit as an accent, by choosing a dress with lace sleeves. For a contemporary look, pick sexy silhouettes like the mermaid or sheath in lace. When wearing lace, choose your accessories with care or you can end up with a cluttered look.
Don’t hide your beautiful, slender legs beneath yards of fabric. Show them off in a splendid high-low hemline dress. This style of a short hemline in the front that grows to floor-length at the back is very youthful and chic. Pay attention to your choice of footwear, since it will be visible beneath the short skirt in the front. Contrast colored footwear will stand out and make a statement, when paired with a dressy high-low gown that cascades and flows in the background. For more inspiration on this look, visit this celebrity trend post on Instyle.
Spaghetti straps and slightly wider straps on the shoulders and crossing over the bodice or back are fashionable now. This vintage-inspired trend has a 90’s vibe, and looks best in solid color dresses. Dresses with sheer panels and cut-outs along sides and neckline also feature slender straps that structure the dress and hold it in place. This is a dramatic look to explore if you don’t mind showing off some skin. For an effortless and stylish look, keep your accessories minimum and choose a tousled and natural looking hairstyle.
Black and White
The black and white combination is a welcome update to the all-black gothic look, and one you can easily personalize. This classic combination of two neutrals is impressive for its simplicity and elegance. Take your cue from the monochrome look sported by Michelle Williams on the Oscar Red carpet, and choose a black and white dress with a plunging neckline for added impact. On the other hand, go with patterns in these two colors for a fun and flirty look. Complete your black and white outfit with a pair of brightly colored heels or sandals for a pop of color.
Incredibly versatile, two-pieces are the way to go if you love unique and customized looks. It allows you to mix and match colors and textures to make your own fashion statement. With the right style of top and skirt, you can create any silhouette whether it is a mermaid, sheath, fit and flare or A-line. You can also pick different colors for the top and bottom. The latest trend is to pair a crop top with a skirt, so you have a separate bodice and skirt that comes together while showing off a bit of skin. Two-piece dresses are also a practical option if you are on a tight budget, since there will be several options that work within your given budget.
Best for Bride is a popular bridal shopping destination in Canada, offering brides and their parties modern dress collections, accessories and a range of wedding day services. Apart from four store locations across the country, this bridal chain also has an online shopping portal, which caters to brides from all over the world. More details about their dress collections and services are available at the Best for Bride website.
For tips on the dress silhouettes that best suit you, read The Perfect Prom Dress to Flatter Your Figure
Link to this post
Prom Dress Trends for 2018
Newsletters / Hottest Trends / New Arrivals